The Blue Eyes, Big Heart Scholarship was created in memory of Joshua Alderton, a remarkable young man who tragically passed away in a car accident on July 25, 2013. Josh had a larger than life personality and a passion for volunteering. His charitable spirit truly knew no bounds, and the scholarship is intended to help people who have been affected by domestic violence pursue their educational goals. Josh was dedicated to breaking the chain of violence in his community, and we believe that by helping women and children affected by domestic violence pursue higher education, we can carry on his legacy.
Please review these guidelines before completing the application form.
To be considered for the award, you must be
- A resident Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant
- Have significant financial needs, as demonstrated by the application and supporting documents.
- Have been affected by domestic violence and be actively working to break the chain of violence.
- Applications must be received in the Foundation office by 4 pm May 24 of any year. If May 24 is a weekend day, the deadline is extended to the following Tuesday. Late applications cannot be considered.
The scholarship is awarded on the understanding that the funds will be used to cover the cost of enrolment in an educational programme or the materials required to complete academic upgrading.
As of January 2022, the scholarship is valued at $500.00.
- All applicants are required to complete the scholarship application form and include all the required documents as listed. The completed application and supporting documents must be sent or delivered to:
Sarnia Community Foundation, 110-560 Exmouth Street, Sarnia ON N7T 5P5
- A letter or email acknowledging the receipt of the completed application will be sent.
- All applications that include the requested material and that meet the guidelines as outlined above are forwarded for consideration to the BEBH Scholarship Committee
- The committee recommendation is sent to the SCF board, whose decision is final. Those applicants that are declined are informed in writing
- Successful applicants will be informed in writing with payment to follow and should be available for photos, interviews or any other promotional activities as arranged by the Foundation
Should the application be successful, SCF will require the recipient to provide express consent to publish their name and photograph in print or on social media managed by SCF. Exceptions may be made under certain circumstances. This will be confirmed by SCF in writing at the time of presentation. All other information will remain confidential.
All Scholarship recipients are required to provide the Foundation with their full legal name and Social Insurance Number. This information is required for audit purposes and the issuing of a T4A a s required by law.