The Steeves & Rozema Group Health Care Scholarship has been created by the Steeves & Rozema Group and is funded through an endowed fund held at the Sarnia Community Foundation. It has been established to assist individuals who have a particular interest in caring for seniors and who are enrolled in post-secondary programs that will have a direct effect on the care of seniors. Multiple scholarships ranging from $500 to $3,000 are awarded annually.
The scholarship guidelines are listed here for prospective recipients to review prior to completing an application form.
You must …
- Be enrolled and attend classes at a post-secondary educational institution in a healthcare-related field. (e.g.: RN, RPN, PSW, NP, MD, etc.)
- Be a resident Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant whose principal residence is in Lambton County.
- Preference will be given to students who have volunteered in a facility or program geared to meeting the needs of seniors (i.e.: Long-Term Care Home, Retirement Home, etc.)
- Meet an acceptable standard of performance in both academic and practical components of the program.
- Have significant financial needs as demonstrated by the application document.
- Candidates may be required to present bank statements and income tax returns in support of their application.
- Scholarships are awarded on the understanding that the funds will be used to cover the cost of attending a program of study and may be directed to the academic institution if requested by the winner.
- By signing the application, the applicant agrees to the expectations of scholarship recipients and gives the Sarnia Community Foundation and Steeves & Rozema permission to publish their name and program at Lambton College or other post-secondary educational institutions. All other information will remain confidential.
- Recipients must be available for photos, interviews or any other promotional activities as arranged by the Scholarship Committee (e.g.: award ceremonies, media interviews, etc.)
All applicants are required to complete in full the scholarship application form and include all the required documents as listed. The completed application and supporting documents must be sent or delivered to:
Sarnia Community Foundation
110-560 Exmouth Street
Sarnia, ON N7T 5P5
Applications must be received by the Foundation office by:
4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 2, 2022
Late applications will NOT be considered.
Scholarship Awards will be announced and distributed in late 2022 or early 2023
- Evidence of residency in Lambton County (copy of driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification)
- Evidence of citizenship status
- Two (2) letters of recommendation – These must be written on your behalf by someone other than a family member or relative. The first letter should be from an individual qualified to speak on your academic performance and potential as a caregiver. The second letter should be from someone who has knowledge of your community involvement and service.
- Completed application form requirements
- Cover Letter
- A letter or email acknowledging the receipt of the application will be sent to each candidate.
- All applications that include the requested material and that meet the eligibility requirements as outlined above are forwarded for consideration to the S&R Scholarship Committee.
- A meeting with the Scholarship Committee may be required.
- Successful applicants are notified as soon as possible after the decision is made by phone and email with a follow-up letter sent to their home address.
- Those applicants that are declined are informed in writing. The decision of the Committee is final.
- The award will be made by cheque to the recipient or the academic institution as determined by the recipient.
- Funds will be released at a mutually agreed date and time to be determined by the Steeves & Rozema Group Scholarship Committee and the Sarnia Community Foundation. Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the presentation in person.
Please Note: Should you be selected as a scholarship recipient, you will be required to provide the Foundation with your full legal name, date of birth and your Social Insurance Number as the Sarnia Community Foundation issues T4’s to scholarship winners. This information is required for audit purposes at the Foundation and will only be used as required by the distribution of scholarship funds. This must be received prior to funds being released.