Beginning in 1936 an organization of local women provided bursaries and scholarships to students pursuing their educational dream on an annual basis. After 85 years the club opted to dissolve and transferred the remaining assets to the Community Foundation. This created the University Women’s Club Scholarship which is built on the premise of women helping women.
The annual scholarship is given to an individual who, in the opinion of the scholarship committee, demonstrates a combination of academic potential, financial need and is able to demonstrate their intent to bring about change, with particular reference to women’s issues.
The scholarship guidelines are listed here for prospective recipients to review prior to completing an application form.
You must …
- Be enrolled and attending classes in a university or college programme;
- Be a resident of Lambton County;
- Be a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant;
- Have financial need as demonstrated by the application document;
- Provide evidence of community involvement.
- Complete the scholarship application form and include all required documents.
- Send or deliver a paper copy of your application to the Foundation office 110-560 Exmouth Street, Sarnia ON N7T 5P5 before the deadline of NOVEMBER 15TH (if the 15th is a weekend day then the deadline moves to the next business day).
- Once SCF has the application:
- An email acknowledging the receipt of the application will be sent.
- All applications are forwarded for consideration to the Scholarship Committee.
- The Scholarship Committee will contact your references and may also contact you if they need more information.
- The successful applicant is notified after the decision is made by phone and email. The award will be made by cheque to the recipient or to the academic institution as determined by the recipient.
- Funds will be released at a mutually agreed date and time to be determined by the Scholarship Committee and the Sarnia Community Foundation. Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the presentation in person.
Please Note: Should you be selected as a scholarship recipient, you will be required to provide the Foundation with your full legal name, date of birth and your Social Insurance Number as the Sarnia Community Foundation issues T4’s to scholarship winners. This information is required for audit purposes at the Foundation and will only be used as required by the distribution of scholarship funds. This must be received prior to funds being released.